Friends But Enemies Politically


Friends can be as thick as thieves, but vote differently. Arguments on the merits and demerits of either the Democratic Party or Republican Party can be quite heated in some homes or spaces. It’s better to leave if it goes to that extent. But can we still be friends if we don’t see eye to eye about the 5 November election?

Not for me. Being on the same page politically is a must. I cannot hang out with people with different political views from mine because politics determine how much tax I pay; who doesn’t pay tax; women’s rights; who votes for television stars like Trump and Elon Musk; and who is handled with cotton wool gloves by the police, while they kill other suspects on sight.

I disengaged from two friends some years ago. The provincial government we worked for was downsizing. We did not like what it brought to the table, so the union called a strike. 

I was on the picket line five days a week. The two friends walked passed me and went through the glass doors of the building. We didn’t get everything from the labour dispute negotiation, but we had substantial gains. My two friends did not say no, we don’t want the benefits because we crossed the picket line.

They harvested where they did not sow. Same political party or view of the world is a prerequisite for me. Example. I cannot be friends with someone who doesn’t believe that climate change is real. It is here.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Blogger Without Borders

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

No Air Miles