Wait for Cashiers Or Self Checkout

Why do they call it cauliflower? There's no rose in there.

Out of milk and red onions? It’s time for grocery shopping. I used to stand in line at the 10 ITEMS only check-out, until I realized shoppers use it for more than 20 items, and management doesn’t complain. Probably, it is not good in math.

What is the alternative? Self check-out. One two three, I’ve scanned and paid for the few items I’ve come to replenish. However, it depends on the grocery store. Some are user friendly, others want Grocery Language. That can be frustrating if you key-in things the computer doesn’t understand.

1. Oranges: the computer has navel oranges. They are not humans, so why do they have a navel? Never mind.

2. Sweet potatoes: the computer calls them Japanese yams. I’ve never been to Japan, so I don’t know if they grow yams or not. I can vouch for West Africa. They have big angry yams, they boil and pound with pestle and mortar.

3. Tomatoes: The computer pops up four kinds of tomatoes. I must punch which one I want. What’s the difference between plum and Roma tomatoes? That’s easy. Plum tomatoes look like plums. Roma tomatoes are from Rome in Italy. There you go.

4. Chilies: the computer doesn’t recognize chilies. I pressed the HELP button today and the assistant rushed over and typed in Thai chilies. Good lord! Must all food have flags?

We miss farmers’ markets already. They closed in the fall. They'll sell their fresh produce again next summer. No computers there, just eye ball and grab what you want.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners