Americans and Canadians Swap Countries


"This is $9.95 in Minnesota. Everything is expensive in Canada.”

We heard this tale at the mall, while standing around an internet service provider booth. I was there because my phone charger had seen better days. I don’t like it when those blue, red and green lines are exposed. I think it means danger.

We didn't know if the storyteller was a Canadian that once lived in Minnesota or if he was an American living in Canada. It’s possible because they swap countries sometimes. Scratch the Hollywood WHO’S WHO and you’ll find a Canadian in the list. That storyteller was neither a producer, director, music producer nor Drake the rapper because he was cheap. He told us his daughter gave him her old phone when she upgraded after two years. O.K. The story got more interesting. He was around the internet service provider with us because he wanted a plan that would cost him less than $25 monthly. ‘No texting. I want no texting. You want to talk to me, you call me.’ There you go, the guy is cheap, definitely no Hollywood big shot.

The storyteller raised an issue both Canadians and Americans like to put on ice. Why do some Americans decide to live in Canada and why do some Canadians prefer living across the border? We’ve identified the entertainment industry as one of the reasons, but how about ordinary folks? The storyteller said things are more expensive in Canada. Is that the reason why somebody would move to the States? Our bakery around here also carries vegetables because it works with local farmers. The province had an election in October. I dropped by to pick up some juicy tomatoes and purple potatoes. I was ecstatic. Finally I had voted. She said she could not vote. Did I hear her correctly? Did she say she hadn’t voted yet or that she couldn’t vote?

“I’m an American.”

She read the shock in my face and said she likes living in our province. The only time she regrets not taking up Canadian citizenship, is when things like elections come up. It’s a matter of choice I suppose. Some Americans love living in back water towns like ours. Other Canadians love to be in New York, Chicago or Atlanta, where the action is.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners