American Green Card More Precious Than Platinum

America, the 'melting pot?' Where will you stay when you get there (not with family, can be tumultuous), can you work legally and where?

Foreigners who want to live permanently in America will go to any length to get the green card. Fake marriages are the most popular even though the government, through its Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is aware of it.

It has its own tricks of finding out whether the ‘husband and wife’ living in the same house or apartment are really married. Hollywood has made many movies about it. I did not understand the desire to live in the U.S. then and do not understand it now.

I couldn’t wait to hop on a plane back to Lesotho after graduation from Columbia’s J. School, even though I learned so much from New York NY, the state and the city. It is the ideal place to understand the world, because the world lives there and I don’t mean the United Nations building.

Which brings me to the green card. I’ve never seen it but it is green I suppose. How did they choose the colour? Dumb question because most passports are green. There must be a white passport somewhere that I’m not aware of.

The green card and most identity documents (I.D.) are green because they represent the land in spring and summer, trees so green they hurt the eyes, after being conditioned to snow.

Too bad. We cut down trees to make room for condos and factories that manufacture vaccines for COVID-19. I guess we will change the colour of I.D's and passports in the long run, to reflect the colourless land.

Movie A Husband For Christmas, starring Vivica Fox is about immigration.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners