Teeth Perfect Teeth

Run Erin! Run! No, Erin Jackson, a Florida native, is not running for Ron DeSantis' job. 
She won a gold medal in the 500m speed skating race at the 2022 Winter Olympics.

I was born perfect, teeth and all. Mama and the collective of women that raised me gave me corn, sweet potatoes and pumpkin. Chicken was for Sunday and other special occasions.

I grew up and walked to school with other kids.  I was attracted to shiny things from the store, things like candy, which we called ‘sweets’ and cakes covered with chocolate and fine sugar. When I became a full adult, I watched movies and saw perfect people giving each other chocolate boxes shaped like a heart. I started eating chocolates. My teeth silently absorbed the abuse. Yes, I brushed and flossed as my dentist instructed me. One day, I realized I had single-handedly painted my teeth pale yellow when I looked in the mirror of a hotel bathroom. I have lights in the bathroom at home, but somehow lights in public places and other people’s homes seem brighter.

My white teeth are gone, a thing of the past. Why? Coffee. Believe it or not, they were still coconut white when I got to the U.S. for college, but I had to adapt and adjust. So many things were discussed over coffee. Somehow, teeth give us away. They tell the story: smoking, plants we chew, tobacco we chew, what we drink, spices we use or powder we cook with. Well! It’s no use crying over spilt milk. I must call the dentist for a cleaning session.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Internet Manners