The Setting Sun


Greed and the perpetual need to be top-dog divides us, but there are things that glue us as humans. The sunset for example.

1. Sun-set, describes a process. There’s the sun. What is it doing? It’s setting, going to bed.

2. Sunset in the Zulu language? Shona kwelanga. Shona is setting. Ilanga is the sun. There are millions of baby boys called Langa. Nomalanga is the name for daughters.

I CAUGHT THE SUNSET

You wish. I tried to catch the sunset this evening. I failed. I walked, it moved back. I came closer. It moved back without moving, if that makes sense. It’s the colors really. How do we describe something that is neither pink, purple, red, yellow or orange?

I was trying to catch sunset with my phone, because I was in an area not obstructed by ‘civilization.’ I mean tall buildings. It is one of the few times I regret not having photography hardware, expensive cameras with lenses as long as a loaf of bread. I had to laugh at my ignorance. I still could not catch sunset. It was not meant to be caught. British coins called money inculcated the need to grab, to possess, to own.

I couldn’t catch the sunset this evening because I don’t have money. All the beautiful videos out there have no tall building obstructing it. It means photographers were on a beach somewhere or a mountain top. These images are so beautiful, I never associated them with me, with daily life, until today. Maybe the sunset wanted to correct that perception. I don’t know why I noticed sunset colors today. It’s a good sign that my mind has not been completely destroyed by anxiety about money to buy this and that and, to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers