Support Causes Quietly

Rachel Dolezal lied and said she is black. She even got the job to run the NAACP office in Washington. She was exposed by her white parents. She defended herself and said 'I identify as black.'

There is nothing wrong with support, or solidarity. Ask members of parliament or congress. They cut deals all the time. You support me on this issue, I’ll support you on your priorities.

You can support different causes but support quietly, not arrogantly. Arrogance kicks in when you decide you are no longer white but an indigenous woman in Canada or an African woman because the Swedish government sent you to an African country to distribute aid.

1. Arrogance is when I tell an indigenous man in Canada or U.S. that he doesn’t look look Indian. Why he asks. Because he doesn’t wear his hair in a braid with a feather inside.

2. Arrogance is when a white woman tells a black woman born and raised in Jamaica that she is not Jamaican because she doesn’t have dreadlocks and the foreign woman does. One woman from India said I have a Jamaican accent. Incredible! Obviously she has not met a single person from that country and their accents are as varied as fruit in their trees.

3. I started this blog as a review of Indian cinema, after being disillusioned by Hollywood films that taste like recycled bubble gum. I used to rent Bollywood movies, to the amusement of the manager. One day he asked me why I always rent only Aishwarya Rai Bachchan movies. I said she was the best actress in India. He said there are other best actresses. I later realized my warped assumption. 

Such arrogance leads to delusions of grandeur, where we think we are, when we are not black, white, Indian or indigenous people. Canada is currently cracking down on women in institutions of higher learning, who said there were indigenous women, when they are not.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers