I Can't Swim

Tenoch Huerta Mejia played Namor in the film.

Black Panther Wakanda Forever
 directed by Ryan Coogler reminds me of my misdirected youth when I thought I knew everything. Coogler and Joe Robert Cole the co-writer, fused in a water village in the screenplay.

I grew up riding waves. That’s why I thought I was a good swimmer. It was only when I went to college in England that I learned to swim in a swimming pool. The Wakanda Forever scene reminds me of the joy I experienced when i swam under water, although for a few seconds. I ain’t no fish.

The movie opens with billionaires trying to steal natural resources from Wakanda, so what’s new? Destroy the planet for capitalism, is that it?

Namor, played by Tenoch Huerta Mejia, lives under the ocean with his people. They swim about, doing their daily chores. Do they cook with fire? I don’t think so, probably live on a sushi diet.

This under water scene did not invoke images of sharks, whales and other huge creatures with dot.com eyes. Yes, they are as big as a dot. But I didn’t think about that danger. I had the feeling of safety.

Namor’s people are safe down there because humans do not understand water. It is a silent nuclear bomb, but it becomes dangerous when provoked. But the ocean is not silent anymore because in the movie, billionaires want vibranium.

Namor, you are on your own.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers