Regular Customers Are Celebrated

 


At the bakery this morning. “I’ll have 4 ……….”

I didn’t finish.  She knew the pastry I was going to buy. I laughed. She said she knows me. I don’t know how because I always have a mask on. Maybe it’s my beautiful eyes. Ha! Ha! They stand out. I’m not conceited in any way. I just grew up parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents and neighbors, telling me I’m beautiful.

The bakery lady’s comments say something about the establishment. It has sales people who are interested in customers as people, humans they will recognize even outside that space. That is quite an achievement because it has many customers.

How did she recognize me? It would be very interesting to interview sales assistants about customer recognition. How does the barman at your favorite watering hole, place a scotch on the rocks before you even take off your coat? That’s easy. You tip well. Restaurants too. Waiters  jump when they see regular good tippers.

Will they recognize you if you shave the beard or dye your hair red? They will. There’s still some human connection remaining out there, even though it’s a speck of dust.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers