Apple and Bean Soup


Call me the bean pusher. I know most bean colors and their price at the bulk food store. I even know mung beans, I discovered when I was a Chinese movie freak. We buy mung beans from a store next to the local university.

I made apple and bean soup by mistake. An apple wanted to wither on me and I couldn’t let that happen. I’m my mother’s daughter. You never throw away food. I already had a pot of red beans because I always have cooked beans. Some cooks are big on sauces. I prefer beans.

I chopped my withered golden delicious apple and cooked it in olive oil, onion, tomato and Jamaican jerk spice. You can use biryani mix if you like, but remember it has a lot of spices that might cripple the beans. You know what? Don’t use any spice mix at all, just a nail long piece of red chilies.

Cook the apples in slow heat for five minutes, then add your cooked beans. Use canned red beans if you don’t have time to soak and cook beans, but drain the liquid from the can first.

Simmer the apple and beans for five minutes then switch off heat. Leave for a hour, to let them get acquainted.  Eat soup as is, or with rice and  warm bread from the bakery.

Meat lovers? No problem. Eat the apple and bean soup with your roasted chicken and rice.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers