Wash Cloths For Mama


I had to run some errands today.  I ended up at the local department store where I picked up these wash-cloths, the British call face towels. Why 4? Because mama trained us to have extra wash-cloths, tooth brushes and towels in case some relatives drop by in the middle of the night.

Why didn’t they call to say they were coming? That was a long time ago when visitors were appreciated, a testimony of your hospitality. It was the rural-city push and pull in Africa. People in other parts of the world can relate to the hospitality. If you lived in Belfast Ireland, your mother's friend proudly told you about her son who lives in London. Here is his address, just show up and tell him I sent you. Same thing with mothers in Jackson, Mississippi, mothers in Abeokuta Nigeria. Here’s my son’s address in Toronto, Ontario, he’ll take care of you.

The extra wash-cloths I bought today are redundant because there’s no way I’m letting a stranger into the building, let alone my apartment but mother’s indoctrination lives on. Always have something extra to help a stranger in the night. Buy more wash-cloths, pillows and cook more in case a stranger knocks in the middle of the night. How? I don’t know anybody in Strasbourg.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Blogger Without Borders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

No Air Miles