Olives

Big olives. Grew up on steroids, are we?

Olives. It is one taste I don’t intend to acquire. I’ve acquired a few things in my lifetime because I went to school here and there and lived over there and beyond, against my will most of the time. 

One of them is olive oil, but I can’t stand one tiny olive. Is it a nut, fruit or vegetable? Not that it matters, because it tastes bitter. I’ve chewed some olives before, especially when I was with friends who were trying to board the ‘sophisticated’ bus. Yes. Sometimes we acquire certain tastes, just to belong. My tongue refuses to belong to olives. I had to go across town last week to buy sardines. You see, most grocery stores carry sardines and tuna canned in water. Not for me. I love sardines in olive oil.

I was surprised when I saw the olives in this blog pic. They look humongous. Are they steroid olives, or are they the natural size found on trees in Tunisia, Greece or Italy? I know the small ones restaurants will put in your drink or pasta. Now look at these baby-boomers! These olives are big. All I could think of, was sky high bitterness. The bigger the olive, the higher the bitterness, right?

Anyway, I got off the olive oil bus two years ago because I cannot afford it anymore. Not to worry though,  I found a perfect alternative: canola oil, found in yellow flowers. It is one of Canada’s main exports, and it’s much cheaper than imported olive oil.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Blogger Without Borders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

No Air Miles