Layaway Plan Deja Vu


I had a feeling of deja vu when I saw this sign outside the most expensive furniture store in town. I don’t care what they mean by PAY OVER TIME, it looks like layaway to me. Plain and simple.

Most of our grandparents in British colonies in Africa, did not have money to buy a dining room suite, sofas, new beds, lino for the kitchen, and kitchen units so they put them on layaway. Even clothing. Layaway? They paid a deposit of let’s say 20 British pounds, which was a lot of money back in the day, as African Americans aptly put it. Then they would give the store 5 pounds  every month until they finish paying for the dining room suite. It was only then, that the store delivered it. They also bought clothes on layaway, and paid small small until they finished paying for the hat, coat, dresses or men’s suits.

I had access to black literature when I went to college in the U.S. African American authors mentioned putting clothes and other items on layaway. My classmates confirmed it and it was fun comparing notes. This sign outside the store made me ponder about managing debt. Our grandparents put things on layaway and had the patience to wait until they finished paying them off. We cannot wait. We have five credit cards and we max all of them. Banks love that and they offer us overdraft facilities. Very strange institution! Their computers tell them that I’m in deep red debt, although I don’t vote for the Republican Party and they still shower me with overdrafts.

But why does this store have this sign outside? Surely, we can put their beautiful furniture on our credit cards, and do minimum payment on it for the next two years. We don’t care about interest. Why a layaway plan in these fertile times, where it rains credit cards and store cards? Our grandparents are having a good laugh in their graves about foolish grand children.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Blogger Without Borders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

No Air Miles