Recycle Everywhere Do We?


We must drink the whole soda before throwing cans in the recycling bin. No take-out food containers either. I learned a lot about recycling on Thursday, because Recycle Everywhere hired by the City, had a booth at the local farmers’ market.

I try and recycle. Just try? Yes, because I have peak and slow periods. Sometimes I think about the environment every time I open the sink cupboard to throw something in the garbage. Sometimes I hesitate. Should I throw this in the blue recycling bin? I hate to admit it, but I drop it in the thrash can if I’m not sure.

That’s why the City’s recycling education drive is a good idea, and it knows where to find us, farmers’ markets. Just think of what we see every morning as trains empty people on stations like Yonge Street, Wall Street, King’s Cross, Sandton, Stadtmitte or Gare du Nord. Most of them are clutching coffee cups, especially in winter. They are not supposed to go into the recycling bin. I was surprised. I assumed coffee cups were recyclable. Maybe they are disqualified because of those straws sticking out.


Definitely no grocery plastic bags in blue bins, which will be less of a problem soon because most stores don’t have them any more. We also keep cotton bags inside handbags, just in case we need to pick up some milk or pumpkin. 

The Recycle Everywhere campaign at the farmers’ market also gave us a postcard, which lists what should go into blue bins and what goes into thrash cans. Paper plates? Thrash can. Yes. Surprised? I was.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers