I Wasn't Expecting You Said He


'I wasn’t expecting you.’

It’s a line in the movies, especially when the woman is so in love, she misses the boyfriend and decides to surprise him. Some women have ulterior motives. They think they can catch men red-handed, ‘cheating on me.’ Others want to demonstrate their intention, to be permanent and be part of his home, after an expensive wedding dress from Dubai, eight asoebi (bridesmaids) and a gilded ballroom in an expensive hotel .

‘I wasn’t expecting you.’

Men don’t like girlfriends dropping by suddenly like hail. This is not a welcome and women who understand English and respect themselves, understand it’s a cue to leave. How do you handle that with family? You can’t say to your cousin ‘I wasn’t expecting you.’ She didn’t have your address, so obviously, she got it from a close member of the family. Who knows? Maybe the culprit is your mother and we cannot argue with that, especially if you don’t call her that often.

We say that to family because family is an enigma. It definitely has different sizes. Small like Prince Harry, his wife Meghan, kids and the three dogs. Family can be massive, like King Charles and his wife Camilla, his grand children by Prince William, his sister and brothers and any individual with the prefix,  prince or princess. The wealth is immaterial. Such families also make that statement.

‘I wasn’t expecting you.’

We ask the question because family is like a car in winter. We must warm it up because it is cold like us. You are family yes, but I must prepare myself to show you family love. I will buy your favourite fish, change the sheets in the room you’ll share with kids and work on my smile. Kids are the problem. They fly to visitors, arms stretched. Parents are a bore, too many rules. Visitors spoil them rotten.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers