Plant Based Food


I don’t know what plant based food is because I don’t trust labels. Remember my vintage post about organic food? The label says organic but I have no way of double checking that.

Don’t let labels fool you. Can I taste the ‘plant-ness’ in plant-based food? It reminds me of an old movie where someone ordered chicken risotto. The waiter brought the order and the customer said: Where’s the chicken?


I will not join the plant based food fashion because I go by colour. Plants are green and I like the colour on the land, especially in spring, a welcome sight from that depressing winter sight of brown trees. Colour is the rule of thumb. If it’s green, I cook it. If it’s red like meat, I cook, roast or grill it. If it’s pink/orange like salmon, I poach it for two minutes max, because I don’t want to kill its nutrients.

What happens with plant based food? Do they put grass in sausages and hamburger patties? The problem is the shape. A sausage is a sausage and I don’t touch it because I associate it with fat. Bad for my heart, blocks blood highways and by-ways.

What is nice about food fashion like organic, vegan and plant-based is that it is fleeting. It’s an occupation for the rich and the lazy, who have time to analyze and recreate everything in life, including food. Ordinary people eat what is available and it has colour. I didn’t like greens but mama said the plate must always colour. Green colour.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers