Cooking Lasagna From Scratch?

Not mine. Photo Credit: online pic.

Mama did not like eating out. She believed it’s for rich folks. She felt that for $10 spent in a restaurant or take-out, you could have bought chicken pieces, onions and tomatoes.

She taught us how to cook because we were going to grow up and leave home. Cooking is a survival skill. How right Mama was. I love cooking but I’m realistic. There are no go areas. Life is too short. That’s why I refuse to attempt certain cooking.  

1. Paella. I understand it originated in Spain.

2. Pounded yam. Nigeria and most West African countries.

3. Corn bread: United States of A. Thanks to African Americans.

4. Gumbo. I understand we thank New Orleans (N’awlins) for that.

5. Haggis. Scotland.

6. Lasagna. Italian I think.

7. Pavlova. Russian, are we?

8. Carrot cake: Origin unknown.

9. Pumpkin pie: Origin unknown.

10. Mutton curry. Lucknow (India) mutton curry is reputed to be the best, hands down.  

Cooking is one thing, finding ingredients on a tight budget is another. I thanked mama for budgeting skills when I found myself in strange lands, living on scholarships.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers