Pears With Steroids


I bought two pears two weeks ago, just two because they ripe quickly. The pears did not bulge. Hard as apples. I got scared. What did they put in them? Are they hard because they planted them in clay, not soft soil?

I tried to eat the first one after a week, but my teeth didn't like the surface. I decided to boil it. It was still hard after ten minutes. You know how messy pears are, the juice running down your fingers so you can lick it. This one said, not on your life. It serves me right though, because I complained pears get ripe too quickly, lose colour and become brown.

I forgot about artificial intelligence (AI), that it can pick my brain literally. That information ended up in these companies that grow fruit on a massive scale because they own land in the former British empire. Agricultural monopolies have laboratories where they experiment on how to ‘improve the product’ and injecting it with steroids, is probably one of the ways to prolong a pear’s life.

Look at this blog photo. This is the second pear and it’s still hard like an apple. How hard is an apple? Ask co-workers that have apple trees in the backyard. They produce apples you can sink your teeth into. They can be sour but your teeth can tell they are apples.

What should I do with this second and last pear? Throw it in the garbage. Thank god mama is in her grave. She hated throwing away food. She always maintained kids in some country did not have anything to eat. I will not boil this surviving pear because it is determined not to be a pear. There’s something terribly wrong, when a pear takes the persona of an apple.

What did they put in it? There’s so much we don’t know about food we eat.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers