Deion Sanders The Ironing Coach

The pressing cloth is made from old white sheets or pillowcases. Black pants and skirts become shiny if  pressed without it. But do we still need the pressing cloth? We have steam irons now. You tell me.

Deion Sanders, Colorado University football coach, known as ‘Coach Prime’ does his own ironing. I find it funny that he doesn’t like steam irons. Who does? The video got me thinking about things especially, past, present and future.

The past because mama made us do things we didn’t like so she used scare tactics. She said she will die one day, so we better learn how to fend for ourselves. That put fire under our seats and we followed instructions. How can she talk about dying? She did. She must be having the last laugh, seeing me writing a piece about Coach Prime ironing his clothes. Mama taught us to iron because ‘you’re not going out of this house looking like that.’

Where’s the pressing cloth?

Mama taught us to use the pressing cloth because putting the iron directly on the fabric makes it shiny. Coach Prime loves ironing which explains his coaching philosophy at Jackson State University, his previous gig before Colorado: ‘You look good, you feel good, you play good, they pay good.’

His mama is probably like mama who said don’t let the world know your problems. That is why ironing was part of the preparation. Mama didn’t want us putting her to shame by wearing clothes that looked like they came out of an elephant’s mouth. She had never seen an elephant in her life because she was born in an urban area and we were also born and raised in the city, where baba worked.

Deion Sanders ‘Coach Prime’ made me feel guilty as he happily ironed his jacket, finished and put the ironing board away, as he should. Guilty because leaving home and living in Europe gave me freedom to do as I pleased. Initially, I was shocked that students around me did not iron their clothes. Then I enjoyed it. Such freedom.

But mama is always there at the back of my mind. That’s why I have an ironing board and a pressing cloth. Coach Prime, sorry about steam irons. You don’t like them, but we don’t have a choice. It’s what they are selling. Don’t worry, artificial intelligence irons are on the way.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers