Your First Plane Ride


How can I forget it? My grandparents called planes birds of steel. Translation? They didn’t trust them. We on the other hand, yearned for them. We’ll stop playing jump rope and soccer, and watch them land at the nearby airport. It was always followed by, ‘One day ………

The one day never happened for most of my playmates, but it did for me. I found myself on a plane, courtesy of the United Nations Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). The country we were in, was not safe for refugees any more so they moved us abroad. The pilot welcomed us aboard but I was not happy because I didn’t have a window seat. Years later, I learned that I could request it in advance.

I forgot the window seat when the plane started moving, we were on the runway. (I knew the runway from movies). Then the plane went up, and up and I clutched my seat. Where is my stomach? It went up with the plane. I still don’t like take-off. Then the fun began. Air hostesses came with the mobile bar. They asked me what I wanted to drink. I wanted lemonade so I asked how much. Giggles from passengers in my row. How rude. How was I supposed to know that drinks were included in the plane ticket? I was also wary of them because some of them ordered whisky and other hot drinks. Drunkards, I said to myself.

Air hostesses returned with the mobile canteen and said ‘chicken or fish? After dinner, my neighbors moved their seats and reclined. I didn’t know how to do that. I didn’t ask because I did not want to be mocked again. Then it was time to use the bathroom. Reality check. Childhood dreams of being on a plane did not include questions about the bathroom. At least my childhood friends cannot see me standing in line for a bathroom in the sky. They would have cracked up.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers