Tik Tok My Next Zip Code


Writing can be frustrating because of the language. Should I use Joy Reid English, Prince Harry English, Barack Obama English, Deion Sanders English, Vusi Thembekwayo English, rap music English, island English, Nigerian market English or boxes of @SunnmCheaux English? That is why I’m considering packing my bags, rent a truck and move to Tik Tok. Why Tik Tok?  No language potholes and leaking roofs!

Tik Tok is language-free. I don’t have to worry about camera crews because the phone is the camera. Video is visual and all the above people will see the same tomato, whether organic or grown in a hot house. Therefore, the mode of transport is the same, moving images. Not with English. A word, a sentence, the use of a comma or exclamation is subject to multitude interpretation.

Tik Tok has one language. Camera angles. For example, there’s a reason why the little girl is crying. I don’t have to tell you why she’s crying. If I’m in a good mood, I’ll cut to her cat on the road, hit by a texting-while-driving maniac. The next video might be a befitting burial for the cat. Tik Tok has endless possibilities.

Not writing. I must decide which language to use for a particular audience. I can mix-n-match languages, make a paella or jollof rice but it’s risky. I might lose both Spanish and Nigerian readers.

Not with Tik Tok. What you see, is what the whole world sees.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers