Beggars Cannot Be Choosers They Do


What does the proverb say? Beggars cannot be choosers. Some of today’s beggars are proactive, to the point of being intimidating. I once saw a cartoon in a South African newspaper.

Drivers in Johannesburg close windows despite the heat, because beggars target major intersections and bomb cars when lights turn red. The cartoon showed a beggar on his phone. The caption read: I’ll call you back. I’m with a client. This summer, a beggar wearing a sun hat with a flower, blocked two guys on the pavement. They walked around him. I had to go past him so I changed direction and dived into the train station.

It was Canada Day. The weather was in a good mood, so city folks flocked to The Forks, a popular entertainment area. Beggars also came out. One positioned himself at the corner of Main and a side street leading to The Forks. He had a camping table with a glass jar and a message: CHANGE.

The one near Union Station at the corner of Main and Broadway was aggressive. He accosted people crossing the big intersection. They walked around him. I did some sign language to show that I didn’t have a donation. He got mad and told me off. I looked back when I was a few paces away. He was still pointing at me.

I used sign language to accord him respect as a human being. His situation doesn’t strip his humanity but he didn’t return the favor. Maybe that’s why most people avoid eye contact early and look the other way.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers