Sell Half Chicken

Canada Day or July Fourth, chicken on the grill or the oven. Stores can sell half chickens if there's a demand.

Rotisserie chicken? It looks good turning around, doing some gymnastics, but let’s say I don’t want the whole chicken. No problem. They sell half. If they can do that, why don’t they sell raw chicken in halves? The question comes to mind every time I see a lazy chicken.

Lazy chicken? Yes. They call it spatchcock chicken, flat on its tummy. The store usually covers it with all kinds of spices or sauces. I’ve never seen a plain one, with no make-up or lipstick. What can I say? I don’t buy spatchcock chicken for the simple reason that I don’t eat what I cannot pronounce, thanks very much.

Anyway, if they can sell ‘lazy’ chickens, surely the butchery can sell halves. They would be easier to grill. The under-belly will be well-spiced. Roasting a whole chicken is time consuming and it is a keep-your-fingers-crossed situation. Should I roast it open plan or wrap it in foil? There’s also a class thing going on with a chicken. Wings cook quickly, while chicken breasts take their own sweet time. The inside needs some creativity. Do I push in lemons, oranges, potatoes, leeks, sausages or bread crumbs? I don’t know.

Half a chicken is no mystery. I would know what spices to use or resort to the tried and tested salt and pepper. I’m not trying to be Einstein or anything. Stores sell chicken parts don’t they? Wings. Thighs. Legs. Hosting a football, basketball or soccer game? These parts come in handy whether you roast or grill them.

There’s half a loaf of bread, right? Therefore, stores can sell ‘lazy’ half chickens. Call it raw spatchcock chicken if you like. I cannot pronounce that jawbreaker. Come to think of it, we roast the whole chicken just for the photo-shoot. It looks regal on the table, if you can get it right. I seldom do.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Blogger Without Borders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

No Air Miles