Common Sense On Vacation

Photo Credit: Online pic.
I forgot my common sense in Banff, Canada.

There are consumer protection laws in most countries, but it’s up to us to activate common sense at all times. When it is on vacation indefinitely, consumer protection groups come in and explain how ‘free’ credit cards work, free because we did not apply for them. They are ‘miracles’ from banks saying, we are pre-approved for an overdraft, a house or a car.

We can say no, decline ‘free’ things. We don’t. I don’t know why we accept them. We sound like one actress who said she went out with a guy because he asked her. That means she had no offers before him. Common sense should say: Bank-man, I don’t need a car or a house, thanks very much. Alternatively, we should remind banks that fraud is illegal. It is tantamount to fraud because banks and the government are in cahoots.

They share information. Banks then use it for their grab-grab schemes. They know our take-home pay. Let’s say $1,500 a month. How then do I qualify for a car? I nearly forgot. Banks know how I spend that $1,500 because of the tollgate. Tollgate? Yes, these bank cards we swipe and tap. The bank computer chimes and smiles, every time I go through the tollgate.

I cannot afford it, is not in our vocabulary. That is why we are so susceptible to so-called free things, the bait from banks to further their, from-cradle-to-the-grave bondage. Common sense should prevail so that we don’t end up crying foul, at a consumer protection office.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Blogger Without Borders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

No Air Miles