Photographs and Light

 


TITLE: Glory

CO-CREATORS: Kahran and Regis Bethencourt

GENRE: coffee table book

I don’t have a coffee table like Oprah has, in her one or two houses but I bought this lush book for the photography, and lighting in particular. It represents my metamorphosis.

- When I was young my parents said ‘smile.’

- When I was young they took a group picture of us and shouted, ‘say cheese.’

- When I grew up I bought my first camera although I didn’t understand ASA, and I still don’t.

- When I went to college, the Photography professor at Columbia’s J. School taught us about light.

I’ve been using cellphones for so long, I forgot about the importance of light in photography. Not everybody and everything should shine bright like diamonds, to tweak Rihanna’s song. I wonder why she cries when she sings that song. Not every scene, must look like a television talk show. Sunshine through a window can be part of who, why and when.

Light is part of story telling. Children’s faces are the story in this photography book. That’s why the light source is on them and it’s soft, not harsh like 12 p.m. sunlight. Don’t get me wrong, the photos are not shot in close-up like the driver’s license photo or suspect mug shot like Trump’s. The photos are rich in creative clothing and hair design. You’ll appreciate the costumes when you buy the book, but what you’ll remember are the children’s faces, because of the lighting.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers