Mental Health and Being Broke


“I’m broke. Really broke.”

“Checked your bank balance again eh?”

“No. I noticed birds flying.”

That is how you know you’re broke. Birds have been flying since the beginning of time. They are so good at it, they adjusted their path, made a detour, to avoid skyscrapers banks built with credit, imaginary money.

Birds are free. I live in a relatively free country but I’m not free. It’s not the government, my favorite scapegoat. It is self-induced. I cannot fly over my financial situation. I tried my hand at doing something good for humanity, but I had a rude awakening.

The receiving organization sent me a polite letter saying my monthly donation did not go through at the bank. Shame. Shame because that donation is very small.

I checked the bank statement. The shortfall was very little. It was caused by the bank’s administrative fees. Surely, they could have let the donation through and penalize me later.

That is why taking a second to watch birds, means you are broke. You wish you could fly over hurdles that make your bank account so parched.

One day I’ll Fly Away is a song. Song writer? I don’t remember.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers