Christmas Cards The New Old School

I hope my friend never gets tired of sending me these twins: birthday and Christmas.

Greeting cards, old technology? Seems like it. The local mall had a specialty store just for them, but I saw a barbershop in that location last summer. They went of out business because of tweets, emojis and digital cards, not due to lack of traffic. That card shop was facing a busy bus route stop. It was opposite a bank and next to the massive anchor store.

What is baffling is that the dollar store and drugstores still have aisles full of greeting cards: humorous and traditional birthday greetings, thank-you cards, graduation cards, it’s a boy it’s a girl cards, bereavement cards ‘sorry for your loss’ and blank cards. I seldom see any customers checking them out, comparing messages, but stores still feel there’s a need to carry them.

My friend does, because every year she sends me a beautiful birthday card with messages that are proof she knows me, really knows me. Christmas cards are the same, messages that caress my soul. This year’s Christmas card has geese and I laughed because she and I have geese memories and jokes. I hope she never stops honoring me. This is from a woman who is a digital wizard. She has taught me a lot about turning phone pics into posters and thank you cards.

Why do we spend more than 10 minutes next to those cards reading them? Why don’t we see a funny birthday card, pick it up and go to the cashier? It’s not rocket science, is it? It’s because cards are mass-produced but messages are right for certain people.

“I found the perfect card.”

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers