Second Language No Thanks


I don’t need to learn another language because I’m Canadian, American and British. The whole world speaks English. Is that right? I first came across French in action, in the U.K.

As a British subject, King Charles’ subject, I couldn’t understand why some African students spoke French. Then they schooled me about French colonization.

Let's freeze that for a moment. Speaking more than one language opens up the world. It can also keep you safe in some situations, especially in countries where tourists are not popular because they are a reminder of ills colonization left behind, or they’re ambassadors of sexual ideas never heard of.

Speaking more than one language keeps you on your toes, never to assume anything, based on how people look. Some years ago, a friend and I entered a certain space at a convention center. We got looks that told us we were not wanted. I said something in my mother language and my friend dragged me out.

He was from Burkina Faso and he understood what I said in Zulu. How is that possible? South Africa is down there, south of the continent and Burkina Faso is north of the Equator. How can two African languages so far apart geographically, be similar?

I was not going to back down, told him they made me angry at that convention center. He stood his ground that I called them a bad name. Never assume, he said that ad nauseam.  After that we discussed our countries more regularly, two displaced African children in a former British colony, to get university degrees to make them premium colonial products.

And the British public do not want to accept Prince Harry loves a black woman? No. No. That's not the reason.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers