Snow and Mathematics


I can’t count. I hate anything with a zero and it’s not because of my bank account. It’s because of many zeros e.g. 0004%. What does that mean? How I hated Math in school. It was called Arithmetic in my part of the world.

I don’t like plus and minus, which is the story of my account, money goes in at the end of the month and goes out two days later. Hey! Sometimes it is swallowed in quicksand as soon as it lands, because of previous unpaid bills or ‘insufficient funds’ messages. I don’t like banks for obvious reasons, but I want to swallow my pride and commend them on ‘insufficient funds.’ They could be blunt and say ‘you broke.’

I understand you need math for certain occupations, but surely there must be a better way to teach kids the meaning of xy/2+-z-2+yx. That’s right. Pure genius. That’s my name. How about using things I understand to teach Math, like snow? There must be some math in the way it falls like petals, so pretty. Then there’s angry snow that causes havoc because it is chased by the wind. Break it down for me. I want to know the mathematical configuration of the wind vs the snow’s. Then there’s snow on the pavement. I don’t need a mathematical equation for that. I know it. I fall flat on my bum when I try to run for the bus on frozen pavements.

Alternatively, you can teach me Math using corn, the shape of the cob and its perfect teeth. There must be some mystery there. That’s why nature covers corn with two towels to protect it from marauding birds.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers