Salt A Rude Wake-Up Call


I became ambitious because of the nice weather. I zigzagged among shops  in the open air shopping complex until I got hungry. I had to eat, if I wanted to continue with the shopping tourism.

I went into those grocery stores that also sell hot food. The salt in those wings I ordered! I couldn’t taste the chicken, just the salt. Or was it acid? Then I remembered I was to blame. I hardly use salt. I rely on favorite spice mixes like Jamaican jerk sauce because they already have salt. Carrots, peas, pumpkin and sweet potatoes have their own salt. I use a little salt with collard greens or spinach. Salmon, the fish is delightful in its own taste. It doesn’t need salt, but I use a little salt in chicken and lamb. I don’t put salt in beans because beans in whatever color, have a unique taste. I even use those small red chilies as pseudo salt. They’re very hot, make me forget about salt.

Those wings were a salt overload but I grimaced and had a bite. I couldn’t wait until I got home and cook my bland salt-free food. Actually, bland is in the eyes of the beholder. It’s how you prepare your food, the love and creativity, that makes it look and taste good in such a way that you don’t miss all that salt in store-cooked food.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers