Movies No Outside Scenes

Moving all this to shoot outside costs money. That's why most directors shoot inside
 and that's why all movies look the same.

Want to make movies? It’s very easy because cameras are less bulky now and YouTube is the cinema where we will watch them. But it’s bad news for us because there are no outside scenes (exterior) any more. Not a single tree, rose bush, banana plant, palm trees doing some ballet stuff, cornfields, river or waterfall. Don’t even mention waterfalls, because I’ll start bawling. I’m a simple person. That’s why I love simple things like waterfalls.

I know producers will be mad at me and remind me of the cost of shooting outside. Yes it’s expensive because they must find money for security; hiring cars and small trucks to hold cameras while filming the palm trees' ballet; emergency plans in case it rains; getting permits to shoot in certain places and moving other departments like make-up, to outside locations.

Before YouTube, cities like Toronto, New York, Atlanta, Geneva and Hong Kong made money from film-making. That’s why they had film commissions or departments that handled permits and other logistics that are a headache for producers. You are a budding producer, that’s why you shoot the whole movie in one house. We know the house. It’s in more than 40 Nollywood movies. I click to another movie once I see that house.

No outside scenes in movies. What can I say? Always men sitting at a bar and women sitting in their shared house, with dialogue crafted from relationship coaches. What’s that? Podcasts that give advice of how to treat your man or woman. What they say ends up in screenplays for YouTube movies.

How I miss some greenery in movies!

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers