Green Peppers in Disguise


Problem. Green, yellow and red bell peppers. Same family obviously, but different price. Green ones are the cheapest followed by yellow. Red is king of the forest and the most expensive. Why are they red? I suspect they got the most sunshine. Anyway, l love them. I use them strictly for salads because I don’t want to kill that sweet red taste.

Preparing a platter of finger food for a little party? You can slice red peppers into strips and use them as garnish, put them around your platter of mini quiches, drumsticks, spring rolls, boiled sweet potatoes cut into small pieces or roasted plantain. I’m not a big fan of yellow peppers so I seldom buy them.

Green peppers are the cheapest but I find them a little bit bitter, but what can I do? They are the lowest bid. You know how it is with government contracts. Companies with the lowest bid win. Is that good or bad? Is quality compromised, when cheap materials are used? A blog for another day.

Green Peppers and Apples Recipe

I have a trick, to trick the bitterness. I cook them with apples in margarine, not olive oil. I discovered not long ago, that low fat margarine has its own salt.

1. Cut green peppers in half.

2. Remove seeds and slice them.

3. Cook garlic in margarine for two minutes..

4. Add chopped red onions and tomatoes. Cook for 6 minutes.

5. Add green peppers and a teaspoon of Jamaican jerk sauce.

6. Cook for 5 minutes.

7. Add chopped red apples.

8. Cook for 3 minutes. Eat with rice.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers