The Barber Remembered

 

Photo Credit: Online pic.

I went to the barber today. When it was time to pay, he said: "You gave me a $5 tip, the last time."

He remembered! That was last year. Here's an old blog 29 August 2023: Reprimanded.

Yes. I was reprimanded. I had to get a haircut. I had procrastinated long enough because of financial constraints and my barber’s decision to move to the United States. I entered the hair salon and the new barber had me situated in a chair. I asked him about the price. It’s one thing that doesn’t stay in one place.

I then told him about my preference, smooth as a bottle. He said that was no good. I had options, he could cut clean or zero, new terminology because the barber who defected to the U.S. never mentioned them. He knew the drill. I had been his customer for more than two years.

The new kid-on-the-block - my new barber - showed me photos to explain the two options. I wanted to put my foot down and remind him that the customer was always right, but I desisted. There are so many aggravations that jump start palpitations in this world, I decided long ago to use the scale. If an aggravation occurs I put it on the scale for pros and cons. Should I react or let it go?

I let the barber get away with the ‘clean’ since he felt strongly that bald was not good for me. He was telling the woman who has the second best round head on earth, the first being the perfect shape of the earth. That’s right. The scale told me there was nothing to gain by arguing with a man with a knife, I mean the electric shaver. We parted ways and I went on my merry way.

Bham! Donald Street and St. Mary, waiting for the traffic light to give me right of way. A man from nowhere jumped in front of me and told me I dropped my hand. I looked down confused. I got scared when he took another step towards me. Then he laughed and pointed at me. He was having fun at my expense! The madman crossed the street and shouted “I made you smile.” What a day I had.

I must change my wardrobe, wear intimidating black clothes with studs, safety pins, chains everything and other objects that have a clear message: Don’t mess with me.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers