Mushroom Recipe Unplugged


Mushroom is an acquired taste because mama and grandma warned us against eating wild mushrooms (a-ma-khowe in Zulu). Why? They are poisonous. And did they grow big! Just popped up from nowhere, especially after the rain.

We grew up. Time passed. We travelled. I ended up in the U.K. and I saw those things in the supermarkets. The English called them mushrooms and cooked them, and also threw them in salads. Well! I had to acclamatise myself to English ways, so I started eating them. I regard them as part of education, because that it is one of the good things about travelling. Food opens doors. That is how a student from Sierra Leone introduced me to okra. She doubted that I was an African. Why? Because I did not know okra. I reminded her that the continent has different shades of the sun, including food.

My travels took me to New York, where I met a friend from Barbados. He bought sorrel and boiled it for me. Very refreshing drink. I befriended a student from Georgia. She took me to a restaurant where they served warm corn bread. I’ve loved it every since, although I seldom make it. Too much work, but it’s worth it. Sue, a friend from Hong Kong introduced me to sushi.  

I digress. Where was I? Mushrooms. I bought some a few days ago because the price was right. I became daring and created a new recipe.

Mushroom and Sweet Potato Chutney

1. Wash sweet potatoes well, to remove sand.

2. Slice, peel and steam them for 6m. Boil, if you don’t have a steamer.

3. Cook onion and tomato and a little jerk seasoning in canola oil for 6m.

4. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5m. They have lots of natural water.

5. Add steamed sweet potatoes.

6. Switch off heat but leave on stove for 5m for mushroom water to get acquainted with the sweet potatoes.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Blogger Without Borders

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers