Postpone

I'll go to the gym when the baby stops feeding.

I’ll do it tomorrow.

I’ll do it in spring.

I’ll do it during the summer.

I’ll do it when I get my tax refund.

I’ll do it when kids start kindergarten.

I'll do it when kids go to college.

I’ll do it after November 2024, when I win the U.S. presidential election.

I’m not Donald Trump, who has the ability to postpone justice, because he can afford lawyers who can ‘fix it.’ As for me, there are things I regret postponing. I don’t mean to pass the buck, but I postponed them because of excuses. Yes. I blame excuses, which happen to be mine. I know I’m not making any sense, but I’m trying to.

Our excuses are based on outside forces, it was too cold or too hot outside. They are not based on our attachment to the couch, the phone,  people who don’t love us, bad habits like having one for the road, desire for quick money and food that likes to hang around certain parts of the body, for all the world to see.

The British have a proverb. Procrastination is the thief of time. Time doesn’t stand still. It strides along. We go to bed and wake up to another day. What we postponed is standing where we left it, so we’ve lost one day. Come to think of it, postponing things is an admission that we cannot make them happen. We can never follow through. Example. Money is an excuse, but guess what? When we finally get it, we claim it’s not enough. We missed the boat. The price of bread was $3 then, now it’s $10. Of course it’s not enough.

Maybe I should make a list of things I’m currently postponing, then review the list every six months. If I cannot do something  in six months, I can never do it. Period.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers