Lost Dental Fillings

How do you know I went to the dentist today? Another toothbrush, floss and other freebies. Ha! Ha! They are not gifts, it is advertising.

"You’ve lost a filling."

My mouth is still sore because I went to the dentist this morning, to spring clean my teeth. It’s a lovely day, sun is shining, no wind to speak of and the white stuff on the ground,  is melting.

The dentist’ declaration that I lost a filling explained why a particular tooth was acting up. It was like shouting near a cave, and hear the echo of your voice. It was only later, that I realized how ominous that was. I lost a filling. I was not aware of the loss. How and when did it happen and where is that filling? That is what I’m scared of. Did I swallow it? Is it therefore responsible for any real or imagined stomach ache? If I did, it is like World War 2 bombs found somewhere in the country side, we read about now and then. They never exploded back then, only to be found in 2020 or 2024.

A tooth filling is made of what, steel or some kind of metal? Therefore, I’m in trouble if it’s still in my body because it cannot be digested. It’s a foreign enemy, bent on total destruction. Should I go to my doctor and ask her to send me to the laboratory for some tests, to see if there are any hostile foreign bodies skulking about? No. I can’t do that. You don’t tell the doctor what is wrong with you, although we do it all the time, thanks to the internet. I once saw a cartoon of a patient in a doctor’s rooms.

“Well! Did the internet tell you, what is wrong with you?” asked the doctor.

You know what? I think I lost that filling when I brushed my teeth, but I don’t brush them in the dark. Surely, I would have seen it. What I need to do going forward, is to preserve my sanity and let sleeping dogs lie. Lost fillings should remain lost, and not cause any trouble.

Nonqaba waka Msimang

Executive Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers