Tax Time Government Fangs

Pic: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

I don’t prepare my own taxes because I don’t know how to count beyond 0-9. I also don’t understand the financial jargon on tax forms but that’s not my fault.

It’s what the government wants. Keep them in the dark about the possibility of getting a $70 refund. It forgets that our money is like a library book. Please return the library’s property.

I respect taxpayers that do their own taxes. I do, but are they aware of government tricks to hide money they borrowed without our permission? I don’t have an accountant because I’m not Rihanna, who  practically has her face on a dollar bill, but I ask professionals to do my taxes because they are on top of their game.

They watch the government like a hawk the whole year round, 24/7 as African Americans put it. Professionals know what was taxable and is no longer taxable. They know receipts that are important but I’ve been throwing away out of ignorance.

They know $200 surprise checks the government sent Canadians to ‘help’ them in these inflation-riddled times. Professionals know that they are not ‘help’. The government has just parked them in the loading bay. It is income, therefore there’s tax on it.

The COVID-19 money the government provided Canadians made them lose normal benefits because it shot up their ‘income.’ The pandemic was not our fault. That money should not have been taxed.

The moral of the story is: to prepare your taxes, use someone who is inside the government’s head and knows its devious tricks not to return the library book. Our money.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers