My First Cellphone


My mind is on technology this year as we read about Google, Microsoft, Zoom, Dell and other tech industry layoffs.

It makes me wonder what lies ahead for the cellphone. Will they go back to basics and manufacture a simple call and receive gadget? It used to be a status symbol when it first hit the market. Not every one had a phone. Sometimes it was ridiculed because people ‘talked to themselves’ on the street. It was believed only mad people do that.

My first phone was special because I had phone buddies, who taught me how to trouble-shoot when the little device had tantrums. I don’t remember the name of my first phone, but I remember Surge, a colleague who taught me that re-booting the system has nothing to do with rain boots, snow boots or fishing waders.  Phone problems? Switch the thing off and back on, again. His advice still works for me on my phone and laptop.

I also had a texting buddy. They call that mode of writing SMS (short  message service) in other countries. A nephew taught me how to send texts to one person or groups. If the tech industry bounces back, it will have to  think again about advice they get from buddies. Does it result in wrong products?

A product that is not likely to lose face is a basic cellphone that shoots pics, talks and receives other talks.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers