Songs I Hum

Lewis Hamilton, F1 champion born and raised in England 
hums, when he thinks about  his bank account. 

Grandma used to hum. Mama and her sisters too. I never thought about it growing up, until I went to college in Europe. I unconsciously hummed one time and other students stared at me. That was the first and last time I tried it. In public.

I hum because I cannot sing. I’m aware of my limitations that is why I don’t sing in public, like people who will remain anonymous. Do you know how painful it is to listen to someone who cannot sing?

Guess what? They are oblivious to that fact. We don’t know our flaws as the Zulu proverb goes: iqaqa kalizizwa ukunuka. Meaning? The skunk is not aware of its foul smell.

I know mine. I can never be Jill Scott, who sings as if she’s talking to me, only me, so I hum. To tell you the truth, I have no reason to hum because the bank sends me rude reminders about my balance.

I don’t think it meters such treatment to customers like Lewis Hamilton, the Formula One ace driver. Can you imagine him receiving the following message?

“This is a reminder that your account is overdrawn by six billion pounds.”

Oops! Computer error. That is probably the money in his account. I digress. Where was I? Humming. I hummed this morning because the weather report gave us bad news, but the sun is shining. Not the reluctant lukewarm sun, but a promising sun that requires a sleeveless top.

What songs did you hum? Sorry! I can’t hum and tell because there are a million songs about the sun. Why do you hum? Memories. It is also prompted by a face, a situation or a visit to the doctor confirming that I will live another day.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers