Do Kids Under 12 Floss?


Parents can now take kids under 12 to the dentist for teeth maintenance, thanks to Bill-C - 31. The Canadian government will pay dentists.

This new benefit cannot do miracles. It must be accompanied by a dental awareness campaign. I had my first floss and fillings in Durham in the U.K. because my scholarship included doctors’ and dental fees.

The dentist associated with the university taught me how to floss. I told him it looked like thread mama puts through the eye of the needle. He said flossing was extremely important because of the hidden agenda between teeth. He called me every year for a check-up.

The dental awareness campaign will be for parents skeptical about dental care. Dentists give us free toothbrushes to encourage brushing.  Such parents don’t know that if they’ve never visited dentist rooms.

For some parents, affordability is the problem. They do not have money to pay the dentist. They don’t have to worry about that with this new benefit.

We cannot assume all Canadians know the importance of teeth care. I once had a co-worker who has two little boys. I told her I was going to the dentist the following day. She said she doesn’t, because dentists disturb teeth geography, and we end up going to them forever.

Her sons must be five and nine by now. With such an attitude, she will not use this free dental benefit for kids under 12. That is why an awareness campaign which includes schools and health care workers is a must.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers