Driving in London

Our friends came back from summer break complaining bitterly about driving in London. They were American and we were all attending a university in the north east of England. Foreign students tend to gravitate towards each other, as they try to find their feet in a new country.

Canadians and Americans are used to wide streets, 
so GPS or no GPS driving in London is for the brave.

I didn’t understand what they were complaining about because I took the underground, when I found myself in London. I finally understood when I arrived in New York City, the Big Apple (do they eat a lot of apples?). The streets are wide, like early American cars. No, automobiles. I had to drop the colonial English and learn American.

American friends in that university complained about London streets. They were jumbled up. They said they were not organized, no pattern. They changed from one road to cobbled streets. They are narrow, very narrow but there were no accidents.

I listened with one ear for many reasons. I was in awe of my friends for daring to drive in central London. I suppose they were not scared to run into a double-decker bus. I also didn’t have a driver’s licence so it was something beyond my imagination.

I understand now. Canada has wide streets like the U.S. They go east west, north south so there are no surprises. Our friends also said some London streets were hidden. Hidden? Not to worry, GPS will fish them out.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers