Aggressive Street Beggars


What does the proverb say? Beggars cannot be choosers. Some of today’s beggars are proactive, to the point of being intimidating. I once saw a cartoon in a South African newspaper.

Drivers in Johannesburg close windows despite the heat, because beggars target major intersections and bomb cars when lights turn red. The cartoon showed a beggar on his phone. The caption read: I’ll call you back. I’m with a client.

Today, a beggar with a sun hat with a flower, blocked two guys on the pavement. They walked around him. I had to go past him so I changed direction and dived into the nearest store.

Canada Day had amazing weather so city folks flocked to The Forks, a popular entertainment area. Beggars also came out. One positioned himself at the corner of Main and a side street leading to The Forks. He had a camping table with a glass jar and a message: CHANGE.

The one near Union Station at the corner of Main and Broadway was aggressive. He accosted people crossing the big intersection. They walked around him. I did some sign language to show that I didn’t have a donation. He got mad and told me off. I looked back when I was a few paces away. He was still pointing at me.

I used sign language to accord him respect as a human being. His situation doesn’t strip his humanity but he didn’t return the favour. Maybe that’s why most people avoid eye contact early and look the other way.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers