Socks Forbidden Christmas Gift

Pic: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Lots of people at the mall today.  I guess they decided to make hay while the sun shines. It was -28 degrees Monday and Tuesday. Today is -6, so I guess that’s why we flocked to the mall for early Christmas shopping.

The line for the cashier was quite long so I looked around. Five people were holding socks. I cringed. I hope none were for me because I firmly believe it is morally wrong to give distant relatives that gift year after year.

I assume you don’t live with them, that’s why you send them socks in the mail. You wouldn’t dare give someone you live with that gift, because they will confront you. In fact they’ll tell you there was no need to rub it in that you don’t love them. Delete that. You don’t care for them yes. Love is the wrong word because it is meaningless nowadays.  

But what I saw at the store this morning make me reconsider. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe socks are fuzzy and interesting. They even have different colors for ankles and toes. Cute!

To crown it all, they are practical. They protect us from the cold. Maybe I should look forward to receiving socks as a Christmas gift. Impossible! I signed a no socks for Christmas policy with friends and family. Some things must be in black and white.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers