International Food

Sushi take out.

International food is food we did not grow up with, food we discover when we have the full set of teeth (adults). That’s how grandma described a full grown person.

Apples for example. I found apple pie in north America. I did not try it out because I grew up washing an apple and sink my teeth into it. Hello! Apples are fruit, and you don’t cook them. I finally took the great leap forward and had a piece of apple pie. There was a lot of sugar, but the apples inside the crust were still crunchy crunchy. Now I throw in apples in chutney, omelettes and fish dinners.

Sushi is international food because we grew up cooking fish. Some years back, Sue my friend from Hong Kong took me out when I arrived in New York for my studies. Her order came and I had a bite. The fish is not cooked!!! ‘Shhh…………., it’s sushi.’ Now it’s my take-out treat when I go to the mall. Give me sushi with lots of salmon. I also love avocado.

Haggis is international food because I encountered it in Scotland, courtesy of Mr. Moore, my high school principal. I was in Edinburgh for a few days, so I called him. He said I must taste some Scottish soul food. Haggis is soul food alright.

Ramen is international food because I first saw it in Tampopo, one of my favourite movies. I’ve never ordered it in a restaurant because I just buy noodles and all the ingredients and make it. Snail is also international food because I see it in Nigerian movies. They put it in soup and their faces light up when they add it in the pot.

Lobster is international food, but I won’t try it today, tomorrow or my next life. I don’t eat anything that might be having a bad day and decide to jump-start me. Thanks very much.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers