France My Cancelled FIFA Flight


I canceled my flight to Paris when Argentina won the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Joke. I wanted France to win. Why? Because I’m a soccer nomad. I was fully behind Morocco during their incredible road trip to the semi-final. Had to. Morocco is in a land mass called Africa.

With Morocco out, which team should I support in Qatar? I collect waterfalls, so the only thing I know about Argentine is the mighty Iguazu Falls it shares with Brazil, the next door neighbour. I collect waterfalls because nature is a genius. It knew that one day billionaires will sell the whole world for a dollar, so it made waterfalls. Entry denied!

Much as I love my waterfall collection, I decided to support France. They were defending their 2018 FIFA World Cup title. Defending is good. We lock the door before leaving home, to protect our things. Yes, we bought them on credit, so what? It’s good for the economy.

Argentina took Qatar but I supported France because they placed the word ‘defending’, on a higher level. Defending titles in sports in no child’s play. Very stressful. Tennis has many examples. A few months ago, the women’s singles at the 2022 U.S. Open had a major upset. Alize Cornet defeated Emma Raducanu, the defending champion in the first round.

I don’t know about boxing defending champions because it’s a vicious sport where working class men pummel each other. The aristocracy in England started it. They loved the blood, broken teeth and swollen eyes of men born poor in the land of British kings. They made bets on which one will clobber his opponent to disability. The upper class is gone, but the dollar class is still here and punch bags are still working class.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers