Kitchen Bin Liners Banned


No bin liners in future. Starting 20 December 2022, Canada is not making any plastic such as drinking straws, grocery bags, takeaway knives and forks and anything plastic. No imports also.

The goal is to be plastic free by December next year. What will happen to bin liners? I must find an alternative, especially the bin under the kitchen sink. I used to line it with plastic bags from the outlet store, my rudimentary recycling.

If bin liners are part of the plastic ban, it means I must throw kitchen waste in a naked thrash can, then wash it every time I empty it. Tying up the bin liner then throwing out kitchen thrash is easy and stress free. Yes, because we don’t touch the rotten things we throw in there. It’s human nature. We don’t like touching our own thrash. We even dread cleaning bathrooms.

Newer condo buildings and houses have those fancy incinerators in the sink. They growl while crushing potato and carrot peels then whoosh! For the rest of us, we have to think twice about what we throw under the sink if there are no bin liners.

I guess we’ll use brown paper bags the bakery and drugstore started using early this year, in preparation for the plastic ban. I must make a plan. I need a plan. 

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers