Thanksgiving Yourself


The 10th of October is Thanksgiving in Canada. It’s a national holiday associated with families and patriotism, but maybe we can also use it for self-improvement, when you thank your beautiful and healthy self.

I seldom thank me, myself. I don’t think I appreciate myself enough because I’m always looking across the river, envying people who live there, who have done that, have all that, will do that and look like that.

Thanksgiving me, myself is not 360 degrees selfishness. It means often patting myself on the back although the hand doesn’t reach there. Women care more about other people than themselves. Well! That’s what I read in one magazine. If they see something nice, they want it for either kids, parents or men at home.

Women do spoil themselves sometimes. Buying yourself something to celebrate a big job you did successfully or your birthday, is a fraction of thanksgiving you, yourself. The whole picture is not things you can put on and take off like clothes. It is a secret smile to you, for you because you are here. But I’m broke, you moan. Don’t say that because you are measuring yourself against the people across the river.  

You’ll be surprised how little they think of themselves, so let’s leave comparison out there on the pavement. Thanksgiving yourself might seem theoretical because there are certain condiments that make us feel good. True, but what if we lose them? Does that make us worthless?

Thanksgiving yourself has a certain aura that can make strangers smile at you on the road. They might even whisper, who is she? Yourself.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers