Phishing. Simpler Language Please

Public messages about online thieves must be simple and straight forward.

Phishing. Everybody knows what it is. Not. I want to tell you something. You cannot understand if I’m using specific language within our common language. Computer/Cellphone/Digital/Online language is specialized language. 

That’s why we must use very simple language if we are serious about educating ordinary people about internet sharks and pythons. We cannot assume the whole world understands ‘phishing’ because there are different levels of digital understanding.

For example, you cannot read a news item online without the site telling you about cookies. They have a policy but it is written in a way to hide the truth, that they will relay your name, address, age, interests etc. to advertisers selling detergent, microwaves or baby food.

Banks are not my favourite institution because they have a legal right to keep my money, charge me rent to keep it and penalize me if my account balance is below $100, but they always remind me about phishing. They also explain that they will never send me an email to ask for my password and credit card details.

For people clueless about technology, the message is important not the word ‘phishing.’ Anybody who works in communication knows that a corporate or government message must not assume the reader knows. That is why online awareness must avoid terms easily understood, by tech people only.

Last year, I received an email from a friend in Ontario. I called her to tell her I could not help her with her financial request. She told me to ignore it. They hacked her email.

Phishing. What’s that?

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers