Extra Large Eggs and Nature


School assignment. What is capitalism? Selling nature, not only that, but dividing eggs into small, medium, large and extra large for profit. Capitalism is using capital, the source to make money. That makes the hen the capital.

I was robbed last week. The organic eggs I bought are not orange as they should be. The yolks are pale yellow, just like supermarket eggs. I don’t know much about organic but my tongue knows organic eggs like the back of its tongue, if I can stretch the proverb a bit.

I’m calm. There are things not worth fighting for. If someone slaps an ‘organic’ sticker just to rob me, no problem. Every dog has its day. This heist made me think about the capital, the source of the eggs. I was robbed but how about hens, do they know that their work of art is divided into small, medium, large and extra large eggs?

Nature determines how hens get pregnant and lay eggs. Size doesn’t matter because there’s no size. It is only when the capital (hens) has produced the product that capitalism grades them. I don’t buy extra large eggs because I don’t know the extra I will be paying for. Extra egg whites or yolk?

It is psychological. The problem is not capitalism defiling nature by grading eggs. It’s me believing that there is a difference between large and extra large.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers