Ads For Real People


Ads that speak to me are few and far between because they are shot like movies. There’s development, where advertising firms present their idea to the client, who is selling a product, let’s say soap.

Like movies they both decide on something pretty, something ideal like snow on Christmas Day. It never snows. Nature cannot be dictated to. The end result is a TV ad I cannot relate to.

Good news. There’s an ad where a mother joins pieces of soap. You know how it is. You have reduced the soap to a tiny piece the size of garlic cloves. The mother is like me, she doesn’t throw it away, but merges the pieces into a home-made bar. That’s right, make it work to the last drop.

The advertising company came up with a concept I can relate for two reasons. Firstly, I’m frugal. No, I’m not cheap. I once had a friend who said I was bad for the economy because I wait for sales.

Secondly, I like the ad because the mother and son use soap, not liquid soap in pump bottles. I’m spending more time in the drugstore looking for things I need, but they are all in pump bottles.

How do we recycle pump bottles? Who cares? Climate change can wait. The economy and how it manufactures things is the priority.

By: Nonqaba waka Msimang.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elections And Political Bullies

Comfort Food As Regret Food

Einstein Passengers